Amazing Healthy Avocados
My husband and I recently had our annual physicals and found out that we have some things to work on. To improve our overall health, we have been trying to find some healthier foods that also taste great. One of the things that we’re eating more of is avocados. Avocados are a “super fruit”. There are so many health benefits, they are easy to prepare, and they taste really good.
Avocados have vitamins A, C, E, K, and B6. They also contain riboflavin, niacin, and folate. One avocado has approximately 975mg of potassium! Avocados reduce the risk of heart disease, they are helpful in preventing arthritis, they help improve your absorption of nutrients, they help you burn fat, reduce the signs of aging, regulate blood sugar, and promote eye health.
Avocado menu ideas
- Add avocado to salad
- Mash an avocado and then whip for a healthy alternative to mayo
- Make guacamole and use as a dip for veggies
- Chop 1 avocado and add to ½ cup each black beans, corn and chopped onion for a light non-traditional salsa
- Add sliced avocado to deli sandwiches for a creamy rich flavor that also provides you with health-boosting nutrients
Here is the simplest and best tasting guacamole recipe we have come up with yet!
- 6 avocados (ripened)
- 1 1/2 cups white onions (diced)
- 1 1/2 cups tomatoes (diced)
- 1/2 teaspoon fresh jalapeno (diced)
- 3/4 cup cilantro (chopped)
- 1 1/2 ounces lime juice (fresh)
- 1 tablespoon salt
Mix all ingredients together. Serve with veggies or tortilla chips. Refrigerate leftovers. Makes approximately 1.5 quarts.
Avocados Are Amazing!